Thursday, May 10, 2012

Quest for Perfect Thump

Every bullet owner want the best thump from Bullet. When I bought my Royal Enfield Electra CI 5s I did not had much idea about the effect of silencer on thump. Me being the second owner din have any idea what changes have been made by the previous owner. My bullet was damn loud . Following are the issues I found with the existing silencer :
  • The thump was very loud ,specially at the higher speeds. It was not tolerable beyond the speed of 70 kmph.
  • The stray dogs in neighborhood find it very unsocial and used to chase the bull every time i pass them :)
  • It was difficult to convince any female to be pillion rider.
  • Extra attention from the cops, although they never stopped me but the sound was enough for unwanted attention.
Finally I visited my mechanic and asked him the reason for it being so loud and solution. He simply told me that there is no Jaali (Glasswool) in the silencer and also liked the sound of my bull :) 
You can see the hollow silencer here , i am still having it :
DSC01691 DSC01694 DSC01692 DSC01693

He told me not to change the silencer but I decided to go for a new silencer. Went to the spare shop and asked for the silencer with jaali. He was surprized “sir aajkal to sab jyaada awwaj wala maangte hain UCE bullets ke liye .” !!! I explained mine is CI bullet and it’s already loud.

Purchased the Ludhiyana made Laxmi udyog silencer for Rs. 600 and got it installed. All the issues were solved but thump was muted now. Even I din like the thump now !!! It was too low , sound like bigger splendour .
DSC01696 DSC01695
In the next service mechanic recommended me to go to a welder and ask him remove only one of the three jaalis from silencer. I asked the welder not to remove all the jaalis but only make small holes across it.
He said “kewal aawaj thodi moti karni hai naa , ye to main karta rehta hoon”. He did the job in a minute.

What welder did : He inserted the welding rod from from backside of silencer and made few holes in  the jaali (muffler) . In this process he had to use 2 -3 welding rods because once the length of rod is reduced , it will can no more reach the jaali.

I installed the silencer again and voila !!!! the perfect,old school dugh dugh dugh dugh sound was finally here :)
I am enjoying every bit of it , sweet thump not so loud , prefect mix of bass and treble .
silencer

7 comments:

  1. Nice Article, But its lack of Details How to Do that, How to achive the Sound or what that michanic did to the Silencer You can Visit the below link for details Thumping Solution for Royal Enfield

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That link not working. Pls share the details with photo about hole in muffler. Pls share or whatsapp my no is 9496813663. Pls whatsapp me. If possible back end photos of that silencer that mechanic put holes in muffler

      Delete
  2. Nice one!!!! I too agree with Mikun Patel... Need details of how to do that.


    I had given a try to create a custom one but did not succeed.

    Here is how I did it:

    I own a 2012 std-350 UCE model. I had been to a welder and had the silencer cut and found that there is no glass wool in it. All it has is the muffler in the zig-zag form (I have attached the images) which will absorb most of the sound and makes the bull muted.

    The welder removed everything from it welded the same mufflers to make it a long pipe and placed it at the center to make it a free flow. He also added 3 rings to hold the muffler intact within the silencer and made holes to the ring (ring: metal sheet to pass the pipe through it - custom made ) The sound was completely muted and was same as the stock silencer.

    Then he took out that muffler from it and put the completely empty silencer and the sound was somewhat increased but there is no bass in it (now sounds like phat phat, not dhug dhug . Currently I am running with it and want to improve the bass similar to the CI engines.


    Any ideas on how to make the sound bassier and louder.

    Thanks in advance

    Regards
    Shivakumar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi shivakumar ,
    All the procedure I have explained in for short bottle silencers. This will not be applicable to the UCE silencers. The UCE silencers are much complicated and length is more than welding rods .

    Let me clarify what welder did :
    He used a welding rod and inserted it inside silencer from beck-side to make few holes in jaalis inside .
    For making holes in short bottle he did not cut silencer from anywhere as you can see in the picture above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amardeep, so can I do it myself if I have long metal wire?

      Delete
  4. Hey!
    Good Job with the blog man..
    wanted to know, is there any change is mileage after you welded holes into the glass wool.
    and how much is the difference?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Very good blog,
    Can you tell me what is the exact mileage you are getting. Even i have removed the jaali from bend pipe and i have short bottle glasswool silencer.

    ReplyDelete