Saturday, August 18, 2012

Oil grades for royal enfield electra 5s

After going through various manuals,feedback by fellow riders and experiments myself, here are the grades that I am using in Royal Enfield Electra 5s (CI 2008  model)

1. Engine oil : 20W50   2.25 Litres  [Castrol GTX or valvoline . Both are equally good.] The truth is iron barrel bullet can do with any 20W50 oil . Go whichever you find economical.
2. Clutch Oil : 10W30  500 ml [Available as Hero Honda service centers "Brown" container for Splendour model it is Bharat Petrolium made or you can visit Honda service centre for 10W30 oil]

Update 25-APR-2013 : Since summers are here I and find 10W30 too thin for summers in Delhi . I am using same 20W50 for clutch as well and it is giving good results. 10W30 is good  for winters. 

3. Gear Oil : 90 Grade 450 ml [Castrol or MICO]
4. Front forks : Company says 10W30 but mechanics here use thicker oils because it is too thin after few years of operations of forks. Mechanic said "30-40 no. ka mobil daalte hain hum to " .

Frequency : I change Engine and clutch oil on every service (2500 kms or 4 months whichever is earlier). Gear oil I change on every alternate service.

Note : Few mechanic use the same 20W50 in clutch as well but this is very bad practice, 20W50 is very heavy and contains friction busters that causes clutch plates to stick together . With 20W50 I could feel low pickup. Had to get the clutch plates cleaned with sand paper after 1000kms only.

UPDATE: I have come across various forums and found that people recommend  ~900 ml 10W30 in clutch to avoid sprag clutch failure in self start models. I have added 800 ml as of now and its doing good..




21 comments:

  1. Excellent blog bro! Keep it up. Can you also make a blog of good posts that u found on web!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am having 5S Electra 2009 CI, do we need to fill 800ml in clutch instead of 450 ml?
    Also which one i need to go with, the HH you recommended??

    ReplyDelete
  3. @iGuy You cal fill upto 800 ml in case of self start model.
    For summers 20W50 is good. You can try HH in winters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amardeep,
    This is a very informative blog,infact today evening I have changed engine oil of my bullet electra 5s (2008 model),I have put castrol 20w 40, though the mechanic had showed me 20w50 as well which you have have recommended, since I wanted only 2 ltrs I opted for 20w40,I am presently in kolkata,the weather here not as extreme as in Delhi, I guess the oil will be ok for this place,or should I go for oil change in next 3-4 months time?also I haven't changed the oil filter yet do I need to the same immediately ? It would be great to read your views,regards Sanjay

    ReplyDelete
  5. what about for chain lubrication. Which brand is recomendded ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @abhijit you may use grease/EP90 OR EP120 or chain sprays available in market. The grease attracts dust but its cheap. New chainset costs 1100 rupees so sprays are not value for money. Also dont apply anything on chain while engine is start and bike is in gear on centre stand , seen people getting their fingers chopped by chain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helo sir

      i had doubt, what is the difference between Hyd. Synthetic oil and Engine oil... shall i use Hyd Oil instead of engine oil

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice blog Amardeep.
    I own Electra 2007 model CI kick start.
    The challenge I am facing, is not getting original/appropriate silencer for my bullet. could you suggest a good glasswool silencer (short bottle) or original one. (Delhi/Bangalore) both will do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Helo sir

    i had doubt, what is the difference between Hyd. Synthetic oil and Engine oil... shall i use Hyd Oil instead of engine oil

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello sir, I am having a standard 1992 model. Which engine oil should I use in my bull.and also in d gearbox.
    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great blog. However I'm wondering that if this is the case, then the UCE clutch plates must be in real trouble, since it has the common engine oil circulations throughout the engine (but it's also true that probably that's why the UCE uses thinner oil than 20W50)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is 20w50 is good for royal enfileld

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is 20w50 is good for royal enfileld

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brother can I use motul in my 2005 Electra 5s ?
    And yeah suggest me for some better tyres for my beast 😁

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sir i have electra 5s model 2006 dual tone limited edition .. I want to know the motul 4t 20w50 can be used for egine oil ... I dont know which engine oil is best for it

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is very useful blog for bullet owners. Changing oil according to user manual makes your bullet life long. For quality tested bullet engine oil visit this link

    https://www.garslubricants.com/nexa-bullet-engine-oil

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi
    I own a 2006 CI engine Electra 5s
    Can i use semi synthetic or synthetic oil in my engine....????
    Is there any harm doing so....????
    Is it worth or worthless....????
    Anyone having previous experience with CI engines and synthetic oils....????

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi
    I own a 2006 CI engine Electra 5s
    Can i use semi synthetic or synthetic oil in my engine....????Is there any harm doing so....????
    Is it worth or worthless....????
    Anyone having previous experience wITH CI engines and synthetic oils....????

    ReplyDelete